Health Literacy UK (HL-UK) aims to provide a clear voice, and a strong presence, for Health Literacy in the complex and ever-changing health and social care environment. We offer a point of reference and contract for those interested in learning more about health literacy.
In doing so, it is necessary for us to collect relevant personal data from our website visitors, members, authors, speakers and attendees of our seminars and conferences.
We only use your personal data such as your name and contact details, areas of interest and any payment details, in our legitimate business of administering the services you buy from us: seminars and conferences.
How we collect information
Information is collected via the Health Literacy UK website and occasionally via email or Survey Monkey questionnaires. We ask for contact information including your name and email address so that we can reply to your inquiry. Additional information such as institution and areas of interest may also be collected if you become a member and if you register to attend the seminars or conferences we also ask for a phone number, job title, and billing address.
To review and update the personal data you have supplied us with, please email [email protected].
What information we hold
- When you contact us by email or through our website, we collect your name, email address, phone number, a social media username, and the institution or organisation your work for, if you’ve given us that;
- When you register for the seminars or conferences we collect your name, job title, organisation, email address, phone number, and an invoice address;
- If you do business with us, we also collect your organisation name and bank detail and keep records of invoices we send you and the payments you make;
- All purchases via the website are processed by Glasgow Calendonian University system and e-store and we never have access to your credit card information.
Where we store your information
When you contact us by email or through our website, we store your information in our Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software. When you buy something, your information is stored in University WPM, our e-commerce platform, and if we do business, we store your information in Excel and Word on an individual computer. We chose these systems partly for their commitment to security.
What we use your information for
We’ll never use your personal information for any reason other than why you gave it, and we’ll never give anyone access to it unless we’re enforced by law.
We do not sell your data to any third parties. In order to provide our services to you (e.g. administer our seminars and conferences) we may be required to send your personal data to our trusted third-party processors (see below).
We use your email address to send you newsflashes (if you are a member) and conference updates (if you have registered to attend the conference). We will use your information to send you invoices, statements or reminders.
Third party processors
- Web designer
- Companies that provide email services to members e.g. for our newsletter (the unsubscribe function is also available within the body of the newsletter you receive).
- Questionnaire services companies online. HL-UK does not share your email addresses or data but you may be asked to give some information for the purposes of the questionnaire. Individuals’ information is not shared.
- Print companies (for delegate name bages and participant lists – excluding email addresses).
If you would like to know more about the individual suppliers, please email [email protected].
Who is responsible for your information at HL-UK
Health Literacy UK (HL-UK) is a not-for-profit membership organisation run by an Executive Committee and Secretariat.
Chair: Dr Evelyn McElhinney
Email: [email protected]
Changes to your policy
If we change the contents of this policy, those changes will become effective the moment we publish them on our website.
This policy was published in May 2018.
Last updated 24th March 2021